Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews (ILSC) Has Been Updated!
The Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews Course (ILSC) has been created to help Venturers learn and practice the attitudes and skills that good leaders demonstrate. The course is a series of lessons divided into three modules: Leading Self, Leading Others, and Leading Crews. The syllabus contains six and a half hours of instruction, but a course’s length may vary depending on facilitators’ choice of games, the content chosen for more extensive discussion, and the needs of the crew.
Completion of ILSC is a prerequisite for Venturers to participate in the more advanced leadership courses, such as National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT), National Advanced Youth Leadership Experience (NAYLE) and Kodiak.
The 2021 Revision of Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews (ILSC) instructor-led course includes the following major changes:
• This version of ILSC was reviewed by the NYLT task force to ensure that it was compatible with the new NYLT syllabus.
• Course format revised to make it easier to read online or as a downloaded document.
• EDGE is now referred to as Scouting EDGE to align with NYLT during the Team Development session.
• Leadership tied to the Venturing motto “Lead the Adventure.”
• Venturing terminology updated.
• Vision session revised to align with NYLT “Start with Why” (reference to mission statement eliminated).
• Distinction between delegating and tasking added to the session on delegating.
• Session on calendaring (time management) added.
• Session on keeping the crew on task added.
• New games/activities with options added (a few activities were “retired”).
• Feedback from Venturers included as sidebars.
The updated material can be found at https://www.scouting.org/training/youth/.